These are so good.
Having company and need a quick, easy, DELICIOUS appetizer? Crank out these bad boys and bask in the compliments. Seriously, these are amazing.
You will need:
· 1-2 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese, softened (1 will make about 30 and they will be hot... 2 will make about 60 and they'll be mild)
· 1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers, rinsed
· 30-60 (3.5 inch square) wonton wrappers (found in your produce department)
· 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce (found by ketchup)
· oil for deep frying (we used about 2 cups of canola oil for 60 of them)
In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese and jalapeno peppers. Arrange wonton wrappers a few at a time on a clean dry surface. Set a cup or small bowl of water nearby. Place about a teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture onto the center of each wrapper. Moisten your fingertip in the bowl of water and trace the edges of the wonton wrappers. Fold like a burrito or into triangles (or follow directions on the package for desired shapes). This part can be done ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen.
Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). When hot, fry the wontons a few at a time until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with all of the wontons, then serve with the sweet chili sauce for dipping.
We made WAAAAYYYY too many and instead of freezing them pre-frying, we froze them post frying and baked them for about 10 minutes at 350* (until hot). Still crunchy AND easy.