These are my FAVORITE Girl Scout cookies... but they don't sell Girl Scout cookies year round so I had to improvise.
For the cookies:
- 2 2/3 Cup flour
- 2 sticks salted butter, softened
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the caramel coconut topping:
- 1 bag (2 cups) shredded sweetened coconut
- 15 oz caramels, unwrapped (I used Werther's)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
For dipping and drizzling:
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 baggie
- To make the cookies: Stir flour and salt into a medium bowl; set aside. Put butter in a separate bowl. Mix on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add sugar; mix until smooth. Mix in half of the egg (beat and separate into halves) and the vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Roll the dough and wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into circles (for easy/efficient baking/caramel spreading) or use cutouts to make them cute (never have I regretted anything as much as I regretted the heart shaped devil cookies... SOOO tedious. I will forever stick with square or round.). Using a spatula, transfer circles (or hearts) to baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until edges are barely golden, about 12 minutes. Transfer to wire racks using a spatula to let cool completely. (Cookies will be FRAGILE!)
- To make the caramel coconut topping: Spread the coconut out in a single layer on a baking sheet. In the 350 degree preheated oven, toast the coconut for 10-12 minutes, tossing halfway through as the pieces on the edges start to brown.
- Once the coconut is uniformly browned (do not let it get crunchy while in the oven!!!), transfer it to large bowl and let it cool – it will crisp as it cools.
- Heat the caramels in a small saucepan over low heat with the cream and salt until the caramel is melted, stirring to combine the ingredients. Pour the caramel over the coconut and stir everything together with a silicone spatula.
- Spread a layer of the caramel coconut mixture on top of the cookie, spreading it out to the edges. Repeat with remaining cookies, setting them back on the parchment-lined baking sheets. If the caramel topping hardens in the bowl, heat briefly in the microwave to soften. Allow the caramel topping to set for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- In a microwavable bowl, heat chocolate according to directions on package until smooth. Dip the bottom of each cookie in the chocolate and place them back on the baking sheets to harden.
- Once all the cookies have been dipped, place the remaining chocolate in a baggie, snip the end, and drizzle the remaining chocolate over the cookies. Store at room temperature.